Archivio della mailing list

personcina simpatica djb, l'autore di qmail...

marcoghidinelli marcogh a linux.it
Gio 24 Gen 2002 11:33:14 UTC
----- Forwarded message from martin f krafft <madduck a madduck.net> -----

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:47:01 +0100
From: martin f krafft <madduck a madduck.net>
To: debian-security a lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mail server anti-virus software?

finally, it has to be mentioned that qmail's author, DJ Bernstein, is an
excellent coder, just like postfix's author Wietse Venema. postfix is
fully open-source and GPL, while qmail has a rather ridiculous
propriertary license, preventing a binary distributions as we have it
with .deb packages. the qmail package maintainer has done a good job
though, and while you need some -dev libraries to install qmail, it's
more or less automatic.

*but*, and this is something that i probably shouldn't state here, but
which i feel important. it's not about the functionality of the
software, it's about the principle. Wietse, the author of postfix,
advertises it as "competitor" of qmail, not "enemy". DJB, the author of
qmail, on the other hand, chooses to be present on the mailing lists of
"competing" software (like postfix-users or bind9-users) and publicly
*trashes* the "competing" software, constantly telling the users that
his product, qmail or djbdns respectively, doesn't suffer from such
"childish sicknesses," and that instead of using the mailing list to
solve their problems, they should switch to his software and not
experience the problems. for me, that's reason enough not to support
him. you are free to make up your own will though. especially because
even though his software is good, it is not flawless!

----- End forwarded message -----

--
BOFH excuse #140:

LBNC (luser brain not connected)