Archivio della mailing list

easy firewall .... cosa ne pensate?

konsa andrea a e-italia.net
Gio 24 Gen 2002 14:38:22 UTC
Mason is a tool that interactively builds a firewall using Linux' ipfwadm or
ipchains firewalling. You leave mason running on the firewall machine while
you are making all the kinds of connections that you want the firewall to
support (and want it to block). Mason gives you a list of firewall rules
that exactly allow and block those connections.

Mason was specifically designed to make it possible for anyone with the
ability to generally find their way around a Linux system to build a
reasonably good packet filtering firewall for any and every system under
their control. It takes care of all the low level grunt work; all you need
to do is follow the instructions and be able to run all the TCP/IP
applications that need to be supported.

The real work of the package is done by the mason script. Its job is to
convert the log entries that the Linux kernel produces into ipfwadm or
ipchains commands that you can use in your own firewall.

In order to make it easy to use, I have included a rudimentary tool called
mason-gui-text. It's a very simple shell that handles the setup and creation
process for those that want to be led through the process. I would sincerely
like to see it replaced with a nicer interface.

http://dhp.com/~whisper/mason/