linux user group brescia

immagine del castello

Archivio della mailing list

ipse dixit

andrea gelmini andrea.gelmini a lugbs.linux.it
Gio 12 Dic 2002 20:05:31 UTC
giusto per avvalorare quanto si dice in mailing list, riporto un paio di
stralci di post, dei big nel development del kernel, riguardo una
discussione su microcessori/affidabilita`:

scrive cox
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 16:08, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Is there a good site for pointers towards assembling reliable Linux
> machines?  It seems to me the trickiest part of the whole operation is
> choosing good hardware in the first place.  I just started a new job and
> inherited a buch of new but flakey machines, and I'd like to avoid doing
> that in the future.

The AMD duals have been a disaster in my experience. Its a shame because
when they do go they really are very fast boxes. The biggest factor I've
found is chipsets.

e ancora, riguardo il fatto che uguali configurazioni hardware producano
risultati totalmente differenti
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 23:35, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Which chipset - the new or the old one?  I've got an ASUS A7M266D (or
> something) that's based on the AMD 760MPX chipset and has 512MB of
> Registered ECC memory, and a pair of XP 1800+'s... and it works just
> beautifuly.  Truely rock solid.

Same board you have.

scrive linus, riguardo il P4
P4's really suck at system calls.  A 2.8GHz P4 does a simple system call
a lot _slower_ than a 500MHz PIII.

The P4 has problems with some other things too, but the "int + iret"
instruction combination is absolutely the worst I've seen.  A 1.2GHz
Athlon will be 5-10 times faster than the fastest P4 on system call
overhead.

HOWEVER, the P4 is really good at a lot of other things. On average, a
P4 tends to perform quite well on most loads, and hyperthreading (if you
have a Xeon or one of the newer desktop CPU's) also tends to work quite
well to smooth things out in real life.

In short: the P4 architecture excels at some things, and it sucks at
others. It _mostly_ tends to excel more than suck.

ciao,
andrea

--
In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd
people.