Archivio della mailing list

compilazione del kernel 2.2.16

Bauno bauno a inwind.it
Ven 2 Nov 2001 01:33:34 UTC
At 14:17 10/31/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Direi che stati ben descrivendo il problema.
>Che gcc stai usando? Il default redhat (2.96) e' bacato ed e' bene

 From alan a lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk Thu Oct 25 17:28:22 2001

 > What compiler do Alan Cox and Linus use to create the 2.4 series
 > kernels?

Im using Red Hat 2.96-85

 > I am currently using RedHat's compiler gcc-2.96-85 and have been told
 > not to do so because it "breaks things" .

Generally ignore that story: 2.96-54 has problems, but not the later ones

 > The question would be .. how hard is it going to be for me to upgrade to
 > gcc 3 +  and  will i get any benefit from it?  WillI loose any
 > advantages that i currently do have?

Gcc 3.0 doesn't always build correct kernels. Its very much a .0 release -
new infrastructure, the core to do far better thinga than gcc 2.* but not
yet the actual results as the bugs all get kicked out

 > Or can i still get what i need from compiling 2.4.12 or 2.4.13 with the
 > compiler I have now?

Yeah

--
Bauno -- ``Molti nemici, molto onore''
``He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.''