linux user group brescia

immagine del castello

Archivio della mailing list

Oggetto: Re: Oggetto: RE: LPD , LPR , Server di stampa , ecc.

Rossi Giuseppe Giuseppe.Rossi a TFL.com
Ven 31 Mar 2000 11:42:48 UTC
Non so puo' esserti d'aiuto, ma ci provo.
Rispetto a prima, invece di puntare all'ip del JetDirect, punta all'ip del
Linux Box o direttamente al nome della stampante (come sicuramente sai).
Cerco solo di vedere se riesco ad aiutarti in po'.
Qui di seguito trovi un estratto del NT Workstation resource guide,
focalizzato su stampe da NT su Unix Spool.
Spero possa aiutarti, altrimenti ti chiedo scusa per la mia intromissione.
Ciao, GR

WORKSTATION RESOURCE GUIDE

Chapter 7  Printing

Print Spooler

Print Monitors

Line Printer Port Monitor (Lprmon.dll/Lpr.exe)

Windows NT supplies a command line utility (Lpr.exe) and the LPR Port print
monitor (Lprmon.dll). Both act as clients sending print jobs to an LPD
service running on another computer. As mentioned previously, Windows NT
also supplies an LPD service, the TCP/IP Print service, which receives print
jobs sent by LPR clients, including UNIX computers and other Windows NT
computers using the TCP/IP protocol.

To send print jobs, the LPR clients needs the network address of the LPD
print server and the name that the LPD service associates with its print
device. LPR sends print jobs to LPD along with instruction on how to process
the job and the name of the print device.
When you add an LPR port while connecting to the LPR print server, you’ll be
asked in a dialog box to supply information identifying the print server
(host) and the name of the printer. You can supply either the IP address or
the host name of the server. The server can be one of the following:

·	UNIX computer
·	Windows NT computer
·	Windows for Workgroups computer with a third-party LPD
·	network adapter, such as an HP JetDirect or Emulex NetJet

For example, let’s say you’re connecting to a printer named LABLASER on a
UNIX computer whose IP address is 11.22.33.44, and whose name (defined in
the hosts file on your Windows NT computer) is UNIXBOX. You can enter either
“UNIXBOX” or “11.22.33.44” (without the quotation marks) in the Name Or
Address Of Host Providing LPD box. You would enter LABLASER in the Name Of
Printer On That Machine box.
If the server is a UNIX computer, and you don't know a valid name for the
printer, you can often find it by looking at the /etc/printcap file on the
UNIX computer. Each entry corresponds to a print queue (“printer” in Windows
NT terminology) on the UNIX computer. Fields in these entries are separated
by “:” characters, and for readability an entry can be broken over several
lines by ending a line with a “\” character and beginning the next line with
a space or tab character. The first field of each entry lists valid names
for the queue, separated by “|” characters.

Continuing the LABLASER example, we might find entries like the following in
the printcap file on the computer named UNIXBOX:

lp|lablaser|The_Lab_Printer:\
:lp=/dev/ttya:br#9600:\
:lf=/usr/spool/lpd/lablaser-err:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lablaser:

The first line in this example defines a print queue with three valid names:
lp, lablaser, and The_Lab_Printer. You can use any of these names in the
second field of the LPR Port dialog box previously shown.

When the LPR Port print monitor receives the LPD server’s network address
and the proper queue name, it can send print jobs and processing
instructions.
The LPR Port print monitor sends the l command by default, whereas the
command line Lpr.exe utility sends the f command by default. With the
Lpr.exe utility, use the -o command if you want to override the default on a
job-by-job basis. To change the default command for a particular printer
controlled by the LPR Port print monitor, you must modify a Registry
parameter. Use the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\
LPRPort\Ports\<portname>\<IP Address or Host name>:<printer name>

In this key, add a value named PrintSwitch with type REG_SZ, and enter the
control command you want to use. For instance, enter the letter “f” (without
the quotation marks) if you want to use the f command by default.
Some UNIX computers do not follow the control commands alone when deciding
how to process a print job. For instance, if you send an ASCII text file
with an l command (which tells the spooler not to alter the print job) to a
PostScript printer, it does not print correctly. Consequently, many UNIX
systems have added software that converts scans jobs that arrive with the l
command. If the scanner finds PostScript commands, the job goes directly to
the printer. If no PostScript is found, the added software adds the
PostScript code so that the job prints correctly.

If you send PostScript jobs from a Windows NT computer using LPR, and the
printer controlled by the UNIX server prints the PostScript code instead of
interpreting it, the UNIX server might have a scanner that does not
recognize the output from the Windows NT PostScript driver as valid
PostScript code. If this happens, you might need to reconfigure Windows NT
to use the o control command by default.
If the client sends the f, o, or p control command, the Windows NT TCP/IP
Print service assigns the TEXT data type to the print job which tells the
spooler to edit the job to make sure it prints. If the client sends the l
control command, the Windows NT TCP/IP Print service assigns the RAW data
type to the print job which tells the spooler the print job needs no editing
to print correctly. For more detail about data types, see “Data Types”
earlier in this chapter.